Monday, April 25, 2011

I'm going to tell you a secret

Some of you may not like this post. Some should probably stop reading, now. I'm going to tell you something that the "modern" church has kept quiet. Are you ready?

God wants you to do something! GASP! I know, I know, the audacity. To suggest that the "body of Christ" would do something. To even hint that we might get up off our comfortable pew and step outside the walls of our churches is almost unheard of. Yet, I believe with everything in me, that God is waiting on us to do just that. Do something!

At this point, I can hear your brain working. Umm...I am praying about God's plan for my life. I want to be in his perfect will, doing only what pleases him. We've learned all the right things to say. When we don't want to step out in faith, we simply say, "God hasn't called me to that ministry." or "I don't know what God's will is for my life, so I'll keep praying." I know another secret...if you're waiting to act until you hear the audible voice of God or until you see the blueprint of the vision that God has for your life, you're going to miss IT!

I'm going to be radical here, because I can. (It's my blog) There are somethings that God has commanded us to do in his word. Things like, Go, ye, into all the world preaching the gospel. Then there's that verse in James that tells us what true religion is...to visit or take care of the orphans and widows. Hmm...wonder how long you're going to need to pray about that?  Or how about Isaiah 58, where we learn what true fasting is...to break the chains of injustice.

I believe in prayer! I know, we must be covered by the blood of Jesus before we step out to do anything. However, I think there are a lot of Christians who have put on the full armor of God and are hiding behind a rock waiting for a David to come forward and do what God called them to do. If you don't plan to go to battle, if you don't plan to encroach on enemy territory, if you don't plan to win some victories for the kingdom of God, why are you wearing the King's armor? I challenge you to come out from behind that rock!

Do something, anything, please.

People are dying. Children are dying. They are perishing because we're too comfortable to get up and do something. Become passionate about what God is passionate about, the lost, the dying, the orphan, the poor, the widow, the lonely, the oppressed. That's just a few, that come to my mind. Love someone into the kingdom. Your armor is ready. You're all prayed up. Now, go and give love to someone else.

That's the secret. Do something. Act in obedience to the word of God and the lights will come on in your life. This gospel is not hard. Loving Jesus is not hard. Loving people is not hard. Do something this week that will change a life for the glory of God.

I'm going to end with this scripture from The Message version of the Bible, "If you are generous with the hungry and start giving yourselves to the down and out, Your lives will begin to glow in the darkness, your shadowed lives will be bathed in sunlight. I will always show you where to go. I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places-" Isaiah 58:10-11

Hidden in Christ,
Mandy

2 comments:

  1. Amen and amen. Going to cry in a corner now while I think about the marvelous gift of his salvation. What appropriate timing for the post. I am asking myself now... He DIED for me. What am I going to do about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!!!! I shared this - I am SOOOO thankful for a church that supports this mission!!

    ReplyDelete