Thursday, September 13, 2012

Friends

It has been brought to my attention (not that I don't notice on my own) a couple of times this week, that I have amazing friends. Seriously, our life is full of really good people. Our social worker was asking if we had anyone willing to watch our boys and I began to list the people who would line up for the opportunity. She said, "What a blessing. A lot of families with children with special needs have a difficult time with child care." My friends and family love our boys (and Eli and Julie)! I think, they'd like me to plan long trips, so they could pass my kids around.

I am able to call, text or message my friends at the drop of a hat and they show up. They're willing to do the mundane things, like run to the post office, so that the winners in our auction will get their items sometime this year. They're willing to take Eli and Julie, for a day of running errands and grocery shopping, so they don't have to make the long drive to the doctor's office. They'll drive a couple hours on a Sunday to hang out. They drag themselves out of bed after working 3rd shift to come and tickle little toes in the van for just a few minutes. They come to Eli's soccer games and cheer him on. They fundraise and advocate and encourage and pray. They don't need to be in the spotlight, they just want to help. They love us, plain and simple.

We are blessed. Not every family has the awesome support system that we do. In fact, I'm guessing from what I've heard that we are the exception and not the rule. Why has God blessed us with good friends? Probably because He knows my limitations. I'm pitiful and couldn't do half the things we do, without our friends. Today, I wanted to take a few minutes and say, "Thank you" to my friends, life is sweeter, because of you.

If you know a family, who may be struggling, who may feel alone or abandoned, the sweetest thing you can do for them is just show up. Speak encouraging words to them. Let them know, you're praying for them and that you're willing to help. Even if they never take you up on the offer, sometimes, it's just nice to know that someone cares enough to offer.

We chose this world of special needs, some arrived here, unexpectedly. They need us. They need friends. They need to know they're not alone and that they still have a place where they belong. Who can you love, today? Who can you encourage? Who can you be a friend to?

Pray, Adopt, Advocate, Support...Do Something!

Hidden in Christ,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment